COVID-19 testing FAQs
With the number of COVID-19 cases declining, and vaccination rates increasing, the public health emergency is set to end May 11, 2023. With this transition, Surest is committed to providing members with the information and resources they need to understand their benefits now and in the future.
Below is a list of coverage changes effective May 12, 2023:
- COVID-19 vaccines: COVID-19 vaccine and booster serum and administration is a $0 copay when in network. For out-of-network care, you’ll need to pay the out-of-network preventive copay listed in the Surest app or Benefits.Surest.com.
- Over-the-Counter (OTC) tests: No coverage for medical or pharmacy OTC COVID-19 tests unless mandated by state regulatory requirements.
- Surveillance testing: No coverage of in- or out-of-network surveillance testing.
- COVID-19 diagnostic visits: You'll now owe a copay for your visit based on the type/place of service. Check the Surest app or Benefits.Surest.com to understand your cost.
Some plan sponsors may extend OTC testing coverage through the end of 2023. Please contact your employer to confirm.
How do Surest members submit over-the-counter (OTC) at-home COVID-19 test costs for reimbursement?
The last purchase date you can send in a reimbursement request is for receipts dated May 11, 2023. You have one year from the date of purchase to submit requests. After this time, most plan sponsors won’t cover these tests. The process for reimbursement is dependent on your specific health plan. Check the Surest app or website for details.
Are any COVID-19 tests and treatments still covered?
The below tests and treatments are covered, but you will owe a copay for the visit. Check the Surest app or Benefits.Surest.com to understand your cost.
- Diagnostic test: FDA-approved or authorized health care provider (e.g., pharmacist, nurse, or doctor) order for a lab-based PCR and antigen test.
- COVID-19 treatment: FDA-approved or authorized COVID-19 treatments, including Paxlovid and molnupiravir (Lagevrio).